Wednesday, October 17, 2012

BAKING, it's much more fun for me than reporting my Identity Theft to the FTC

Someone recently said to me, after hearing my news, "identity theft is awful". I understood the simpatico feelings they were trying to convey. However to me, a cancer survivor, a recurrence would be awful...identity theft is just downright damn annoying.

Winner, Artsy Undies Breast Cancer Fundraiser at Bonni Bakes

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I think I know why. Most of the breast cancer patients I've  known were diagnosed this month. It's after summer vacation, kids are back in school and life takes on a more orderly pace. That's when you have a chance to schedule your annual mammogram. In my case that routine test saved my life through early detection. I'm incredibly grateful to be celebrating my 15th year of survivorship! Please make sure every woman you love, and men who might worry about a sudden lump in their chest, get tested. The odds are on their side these days.

Breakfast Corn Muffin chock full of crisp bacon, Cheddar & chives


One morning a few months ago I was in a hurry, but hungry beyond my usual cup of coffee. I wanted something interesting, filling and not too sweet. Couldn't find it and had to settle for the coffee, but decided I needed to fill that void. After a lot of experimenting, I've been proud to share my Breakfast Corn Muffin. It's a delicate non-greasy corn muffin loaded with crisp cooked bacon, lots of Cheddar cheese and sauteed fresh scallions. Great by itself; even better toasted with butter or jam. A hand-held meal any time of the day. I'll be baking them this weekend.


Cranberry Orange Muffin 

Along with a batch of my classic Cranberry Orange Muffins too. Some things are always timely. The great thing about both of these muffins is that they're already packaged to pop in the freezer, in case your eyes are bigger than your stomach.

Today the weather was beautiful. Maybe it was the subtle cloud cover, but there was a cool wave that I thought was saying "goodbye" to summer. A girl can dream, can't she? I'm hoping we've seen the last of the 90's until next year...probably January. Anyway, it made me think about Fall, that season where you embrace something crisp...the air, an apple, the crease in your pants. For me, it played out in food. No surprise there. I'm baking mini loaves of Sweet Potato Cranberry Pecan Bread. Oh yeah, a little seasonal loaf perfect for sharing, but not too big to become an unwelcome visitor. Try one for just $4 each.

Because I'm spending MOST OF MY WEEK explaining that I am a victim of identity fraud to federal agencies, credit recording groups, banks and anyone who has my private info (that apparently is no longer private), I don't have time to make anything available for pick-up at my TreeHouse home on Fri & Sat. If you'd like to order & pick-up at the Geraldson Farmer's Market on Sunday from 11-3pm, I can have it for you. Email or phone me at bonnibakes@gmail.com or (941) 746-6647. Or just stop by.


My Refrigerator Kosher Dill Pickles made with organic Kirby cukes from the farm

Last week I bought 5 organic Kirby cucumbers for $1 on Sunday. They were so beautiful & fresh I knew I had to make a jar of Refrigerator Kosher Dill Pickles. They only take a week to make. Stop by this Sunday and have a taste. I'll give you the recipe and you too can buy the cucumbers right there at the farm. In addition to the fabulous organic produce & vendors with local goat products, honey, vegan treats, etc. you might come nose to nose with a Silky Chicken and her newborn brood.


Silky Chicken Mom with her young brood at Geraldson Sunday Farmer's Market

Find out a more about Geraldson's Organic CSA farm, or buy a share for the season, at www.geraldsoncommunityfarm.org

Tomorrow, Thursday Oct 18th from 4:30-7pm there's only one place you need to be. It's the incredible opening of Bradenton's Riverwalk. The 1 1/2 mile renovation of the waterfront from the Green Bridge to that other bridge near the hospital (that I can never remember the name of), and beyond. During the 13 years I've lived here I've heard a lot of proposals for this waterfront, seen a lot of plans rise & disappear and spent a few years on several City task forces hopefully moving the process forward.

NOW IT'S A REALITY  & A SPACE FOR ALL OF US. 

Click on this wonderful collection of photos from Realize Bradenton that will give you a taste of what you'll see tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/70783127283/permalink/10151268334332284/



Visit Village of the Arts Nov ArtWalk Nov 2 & 3 "Dia de los Muertos - Festival of the Skeletons"

Save the date for the upcoming Village of the Arts November ArtWalk when we celebrate the 7th Annual Dia de los Muertos Festival of the Skeletons on Fri Nov 2 from 6-9:30pm and Sat Nov 3 from 11-4pm. This year we are honoring FRIDA KAHLO with our Community Altar, as well as a FRIDA LOOK ALIKE CONTEST. It's a wonderful family night & day filled with Mexican food, music, art and remembrance of  of our loved ones with a joyful spirit. Find all of the information at the Village's website under "Events" at www.villageofthearts.com or ask me on Sunday.

Hugs from my TreeHouse kitchen,
Bonni

Village of the Arts
932 12th Street West
Bradenton  FL  34205

(941) 746-6647

bonnibakes@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment