Monday, April 8, 2013

The Clean-up Continues

It's great to be back in my kitchen, doing what I love to do, although things are taking me a bit longer because I'm out of practice. I've been busy organizing the ton of things I stored in my living room that you saw in my last post. It was so overwhelming it scared me too. But look at my progress. Today Twinkie & I have a clean comfy corner to relax in.




The kitchen is totally available and I have all of the counter space I need to turn out the yummy stuff I dream of baking.



Even the downstairs bathroom, storage area for a ton of framed pictures, is now available for other business. Yea!!!



But this afternoon there was a new wrinkle...in the form of a soft meow. For two weeks my dog Twinkie has been arguing with a feral wild looking cat. She chased her across the yard but "Bill the Cat" (who I named because of its resemblance to the Bloom County character) always dove under my former bakery, now Sweets' Bakehouse. It was making Twink crazy, so for the past few days I didn't let her run free in the back yard. This afternoon, as we walked past the area Twink dug up trying to get under the building, I heard a soft "meow". When I answered in kind, a very tiny ball of fur walked out.



I call the kitten Topaz, because of her coloring. Later I discovered a second kitten, dark as charcoal, who I call Smokey. Did I mention that I'm allergic to long-haired cats? But maternal feelings over-rode that and after some advice from "cat people" I hand fed Topaz (Smokey was no where to be found). After a bit her mommy arrived so I left them alone, & Bill The Cat turned out to be quite the mommy. I last saw her gently carrying her little one under the building that is their current home. I put out a dish of tuna & some milk for Mom since she looked pretty hungry too.




This week I'm getting back to the old Jewish bakeries in Brooklyn with my Dad's favorite, ONION PLETZL. A wonderful flatbread fragrant with onions & poppy seed. Great by itself, but wonderful with a schmear. $4/pkg.

I'll have the usual suspects including BIG COOKIES in a variety of my favorite flavors:  Chocolate Chip, Orange Dark Chocolate Walnut, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut and Pecan Coconut Milk Chocolate. $1.50/each.




Chocolate Orgasm Cookies need no introduction. $5/pkg.
When it comes to Breadstix there'll be Rosemary Parmigiano, and possibly some of a new flavor requested by a customer...Black Pepper Parmigiano. $4/pkg. Back by popular demand Blueberry Lemon Muffins $2/each, and the Yiddish version of biscotti Almond Mandlebrot. $2/pkg.



I'm going to make something that I haven't done in a long time, Schnecken Cinnamon Buns. All the yumminess but with a Jewish twist. $3/each.


Pre-order by 5pm Wed to guarantee their availability for pickup later this week. Everything is hand made in small batches. Items listed on my menu might be available at the Sunday Palma Sola Farmers Market, unless sold out.

TO PLACE YOUR ORDER  

call me at (941) 746-6647 or

 email  bonnibakes@gmail.com

by 5 pm WEDNESDAY 

 Pay by cash or local check made out to Bonni Brown


PICK UP YOUR ORDER

 at my home in The Village of the Arts  (932 12 St W)

FRIDAY or SATURDAY from 2-5   
or
Palma Sola Farmers Market SUNDAY 11-3


             I'm at Palma Sola Farmers Market  Sundays 11-3 
held at Geraldson's Community Farm in NW Bradenton. Go to their FaceBook 
link below where you can get driving directions  & more information

facebook.com/palmasolafarmersmarket 


 Hugs from my kitchen,

Bonni


No comments:

Post a Comment