Monday, July 29, 2013

This week I get to play in dirt

I'm concentrating on changes to my landscaping, while the deck project moves ahead. In 2000 we built four large raised beds where I grew a bounty of veggies & herbs. Now this area is shaded by the 2-story TreeHouse and my veggie garden will be elsewhere. The wood enclosing those beds looked black & grungy, covered with 13 years worth of dirt & mold.


Enter my favorite water toy...the pressure-washer. I'm constantly amazed at what you can accomplish with plain water under pressure. Now the boards are clean again and look almost new...plus it soothes my instant gratification soul. 


I discovered a forgotten flat of light green coleus I bought months ago at Lowe's bargain table. They were small & weak at the time, but for $2 I thought they might have a chance planted under my towering palms. I promptly forgot they were there, hidden behind a loveseat, until a flash of lime green recently caught my eye. With all of the rain we've had, and my benign neglect, they turned  into healthy flowering specimens. They'll be transplanted to their forever dirt homes later this week.


The mangoes are almost ready to begin picking, but the crop is very limited this year. That means I'll be making jam soon, but I won't have any fruit to sell, as I have in past years. Sorry.


Here's what the view looks like from the enclosed deck. New sliding acrylic windows & screens have been framed in above the existing railing. The bottom section used to have rabbit wire as a barrier; now replaced with 1/4" polycarbonate, it gives the illusion of no glass at all. I love it and can't wait to hang out there and read a book, surrounded by the trees.


Big "thanks" to all of my wonderful taste testers who tried last week's Prune Danish (above) and gave me feedback. Based on the enthusiastic response, the pastry will appear in the future with a variety of fillings.

This weekend is the August ArtWalk in the Village of the Arts. I'll be open Friday & Saturday from 11-4 for you to pick-up orders, as well as hosting my ongoing
                     ESTATE SALE (but I'm not dead yet) 
consisting of things I've amassed over the years but no longer need, from measuring spoons to furniture. New items added each week as I continue to unpack.

Because I'm trying to juggle a lot of things, I have a limited baking schedule this week.



Big Cookies   $1.50/each
Individually wrapped & available in the following flavors:
Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Orange Dark Chocolate Walnut, 
Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Pecan Coconut Milk Chocolate       

Chocolate Orgasm Cookies   $5/pkg
My legendary chocolate delivery system made from melted Belgium Bittersweet chocolate, toasted fresh almonds & chocolate chips. Available in a plain brown bag if you don't intend to share them with others.

My Favorite Challah   $4.50/loaf 
The Jewish answer to brioche...golden soft crumb, mahogany exterior, fabulous for French toast

                    Order by 5pm Wed for pick-up Fri or Sat
                                                    most items in limited supply

TO PLACE AN ORDER call me at (941) 746-6647   or

 email  bonnibakes@gmail.com  by 5 pm WEDNESDAY 

 Pay by cash or local check made out to Bonni Brown



PICK UP YOUR ORDER

 in The Village of the Arts  

at former BONNI BAKES building 930 12 St W

FRIDAY or SATURDAY from 11 - 4  
 

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni



No comments:

Post a Comment