Monday, January 13, 2014

Seems like the animals have taken over



I've always wanted a goat, and now I have one. No more jealous pangs at the Palma Sola Farmers Market on Sundays when I watch Glenna's goats forage & scamper about. Today I brought Miss Persnickety home from Divine Excess Gallery in The Village and gently introduced her to my dog Twinkie. It only took one sniff on Twink's part to determine Miss P was no threat. Then the goat behavior kicked in and I could barely keep up with her. First she started nibbling on my Meyer Lemon tree, then pounced on top of the table. But not for long.


In a flash she was gulping down my Mexican Petunias...


and tried to climb up the avocado tree. Thank goodness for Twinkie, who knew how to quickly get her attention. Oops!!!


Before long everything quieted down and a tired little Miss P finally took a nap.


Her udder looks very full so it shouldn't be long before I'm rolling in goat milk and goat cheese. It's not so hard being a "City Farmer" Glenna. I also got a cat to keep in my kitchen.


This colorful pussycat is a reminder of my recent trip to Tulum. Of course the white powder that shakes out is only sea salt.  My veggie crops are progressing too.


This year I started several varieties of small tomatoes from seed and am growing them in Earth Boxes without pesticides. My personal favorite is "Chocolate Cherry" (dark ones at the top) along with "Juliet" (elongated mini Romas) and "Lady Bug" round cherry tomatoes. I'm harvesting them now & will sell mixed pints for $3 in VERY LIMITED quantities. Let me know if you're interested.


I planted a couple of Brussels Sprout plants too. I love how the tiny sprouts appear and grow on the stalk, in the armpits of the leaves. Aren't they adorable!! Thanks Ginger Stevenson for growing them in your garden years ago...I never would have known!


FYI -- Thanks to all of you for your encouragement & support these past months while I looked for just the right tenant for my former Bonni Bakes Cafe building. I'm happy to report that I found them, and they will be taking it over on Feb 1st. Sorry I can't share any details at the moment but it will be a terrific addition to The Village of the Arts & a place I know you'll want to visit. More details to come soon. 

Here's what I'm baking this week:


Pumpkin Date Nut Muffin  $2
Nothing tastes so rich and satisfying as one of these large muffins, sliced and slathered with cream cheese. For me it's almost a full meal and a guaranteed smile :-)


Classic French Ficelle   $2.50
I love French bread, but mostly I love the ratio of crunchy crust to soft interior. A Ficelle is like a Baguette, but skinnier, so that proportion of crust to interior is greater. Whatever, it's damn yummy.

Big Cookie   $1.50
Individually wrapped & available in the following flavors:
Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Orange Belgium Dark Chocolate Walnut, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Snickerdoodle, Pecan Coconut Belgium Milk Chocolate


Chocolate Orgasm Cookies   $5/pkg
My legendary chocolate delivery system made from melted Belgium Bittersweet chocolate, toasted fresh almonds, chocolate chips & very little flour. Sold in packages because you must have more than one.

Black Pepper Parmigiano Breadstix   $4/pkg
Just the thing when you want something alongside that cocktail, soup or salad. Made with imported Reggiano Parmigiano cheese, coarse ground Tellicherry pepper from my trip to India, and fresh oregano from my organic garden. Plus they stay crunchy down to their nibs.


Jewish Apple Cake  $3/slice
My aunt's classic cake is taken to a new level with the addition of organic apples from Palma Sola Farmers Market. Not overly sweet, but moist because it's loaded with chunks of delicious fresh apples. Perfect with tea or coffee; as dessert, or just as a very satisfying snack.


Homemade Jams & Chutneys   $4/ jar
Cranberry Pear, Mango Chutney, Peach Melba, Berry Basket, Blueberry Lemon, Ginger Pear Chutney.

 Everything always hand-made in small batches with the best ingredients & locally sourced when possible. No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fake stuff EVER!!

ORDER BY 5pm WED.  PICK-UP

FRIDAY or SATURDAY 12-4 in Village of the Arts
at BONNI BAKES Gallery 
930 12 St W (just south of MLK)  

OR

SUNDAY 11-3 at Palma Sola Farmers Market
  at Geraldson's Community Farm, directions at
facebook.com/palmasolafarmersmarket

All items in limited supply...first come, first served

TO PLACE AN ORDER 
call me at (941) 746-6647 
  or email  bonnibakes@gmail.com  

   PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK TO BONNI BROWN  

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment