Monday, April 14, 2014

To quote Groucho, "Hello, I must be going"



I do love a challenge. Repelling into a cenote, especially stepping off into the nothingness (like NO FLOOR) was initially pretty scary...followed by elation.


It's easy for me to get comfy in a familiar spot, but ultimately I realize I need to move on to something else. Right now I'm not sure what that is, but I know it's time to get my house in order and my ass out the door. When I started this baking adventure in 2011 it allowed me to recreate memories of my childhood. I thank all of you who have been my munching companions along the way.

This will be my last BONNIBAKESBROOKLYN BLOG for a while. After this week's menu, baking & Friday's pick-up, I'm closing my kitchen so I can focus on other things. Consolidating three buildings into one during the last year (and I'm not done yet), has been an exhausting process. It's time for me to clear my brain & sinuses (during this mega pollen season), travel and explore possibilities a bit.

Manatee Children's Services has opened their new Center for the Arts in my former BONNI BAKES Bakery/Cafe at 930 12th St West. They are starting their Art Classes for Children & Adults, as well as featuring several artists in their Gallery. For more details & class registration call Amalia at (941) 727-1143.


Today I spent the day organizing spaces in my home, the TreeHouse. That included removing everything from my pantry hidden under the staircase. 


I feel so much lighter & happier now that it only contains things I want. It also provided a chance for me to clean out things I really don't need and duplicates, like multiple boxes of Instant Oatmeal. 


In the morning I'll take them to Our Daily Bread at 701 17th Ave West, our local Soup Kitchen. If you also have extra food, this is a great time to help our local organizations stock their pantries. And Turning Points (in the same building) will gladly take household items for their clients who are setting up apartments. Or you can volunteer a few hours a week, just ask for Cheryl. If we all contribute something, it makes us all stronger!

I'll be posting a lot of things for sale on Craig's List in the coming months. It will take a while before I get around to the Joe Fordham Collection  of items from my Dad's pharmacy career. Then there is the Irv & Gert Weil Collection of Mid-Century Modern Furniture from circa 1953. And that doesn't include the Throne Chairs who have been in my family for almost 100 years. Stay tuned.



Here's what I'm baking this week in my kitchen: 
CRANBERRY PECAN CORN MUFFIN   $2
This recent combo of mine has become an instant favorite. I'm baking it this week because Elaina asked me to. If you haven't had the pleasure, it's a buttery corn muffin punctuated by yummy cranberries & toasted pecans. Maybe I should call it Butter Pecan Corn Muffin with Cranberries.


THE BIG COOKIE  $1.50
Individually wrapped & available in the following flavors:  Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate ChipOatmeal Raisin Walnut, Snickerdoodle, Pecan Coconut Belgium Milk Chocolate


CHOCOLATE ORGASM COOKIES  $5/pkg
Your last chance to get my legendary chocolate delivery system made from melted Belgium Bittersweet chocolate, toasted almonds, chocolate chips & very little flour. Not sold anywhere else


MY GRANDMA'S STRUDEL COOKIES   $5/pkg
For years people have asked "What are those things in that picture at the top of your blog". Well, I can't duck out without giving you a chance to enjoy my version of what Grandma baked for our family every Friday. A delicate outer crust embracing a magical filling blending toasted nuts, raisins and jam (homemade in my case). We got our allotment in a recycled cardboard egg carton; I'll do better for you


CINNAMON SWIRL RAISIN BREAD   $5
I don't think I could stop baking without making this loaf available one last time. Over 1/2 lb of raisins per loaf & made with the REAL CEYLON CINNAMON as part of that heavenly scented swirl.


JAM & CHUTNEY    $4/jar
The selection is down to under a dozen to choose from. I only have 8 Mango Chutney (with free recipe for my famous CURRIED CHICKEN SALAD)1 Ginger Pear Chutney, 1 Blueberry Lemon Jam, 1 Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper Jam left. 


 Everything always hand-made in small batches with the best ingredients & locally sourced when possible. No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fake stuff EVER!!

LAST WEEK TO ORDER BY 5pm WED. &  PICK-UP  

FRIDAY  12-4 in the Village of the Arts
at BONNI's TreeHouse 
932 12 St W (down the driveway thru the white wrought iron gate) 

ALL ITEMS IN LIMITED SUPPLY...FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED

TO PLACE AN ORDER 
email  bonnibakes@gmail.com  
OR  
call me at (941) 746-6647 

   PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK TO BONNI BROWN  

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment