Monday, January 26, 2015

Time to cross another item off my To-Do List

The original vibrant colors

Today Bill Chamberlain, from Van-Go Painting, is completing my last big painting project...repainting the orange doors & roof trim, plus the parrot green window frames, of my TreeHouse. I hate how the searing Florida sun has bleached my bright happy colors into dull yucky submission over the years. It annoys me every day, but soon I'll be able to smile when I see my house exuding the same positive energy it did when I moved in ;-)



With a little help from my friends, a new mini house facade now surrounds the mailbox next to my driveway. The turquoise doors open to display my weekly MENU, giving locals without email access a chance to order goodies too. Thanks Ray for your generous time & talent. Now I have something new to decorate & play with. Humm, maybe some flowers & ribbons.

This is my last bake in January. Next week I'm headed back to my former home of New York City for a week filled with family, friends, leftover snow, great food & lots of fun. I've rented a house in Woodstock, NY for the weekend so the 6 of us, plus animals, can hang out & play together. You probably know the time has come for me to return back North; my only question is where? The Hudson River Valley is one of the areas I want to explore, as well as potential housing options in NYC. This short trip is the beginning of my hands-on search.


Sudden blizzard in NYC closed JFK when I was there Feb 2013

I will post my next BONNI BAKES MENU on Monday Feb 9th, with pick-up Friday Feb the 13th. Yikes, hope you aren't superstitious. It's a good time to get spooked. I just discovered that I'm flying to NYC during a Full Moon, so who knows what will be flying next to the plane, and who will be crawling around the City.


On a more light-hearted note I recently came across this photo of an unusual salad we served (as part of a Spanish Beach Dinner) at BONNI BAKES a few years ago. Since oranges are in season now, I thought I'd share it in case you're looking for something colorful & refreshing. It was delicious! Federico, is this salad being served on Minorca these days?

Spanish Orange & Red Onion Salad      Serves 4


      4 medium navel oranges, peeled
      1 small red onion, sliced thin
      2 TBL fresh lemon juice
      6 TBL extra virgin olive oil
      Salt  & Pepper to taste
      4 TBL golden raisins (soaked, covered in hot water for 20 minutes, then drained)
      20 black olives, pitted
      2 TBL toasted sliced almonds
      4 sprigs of fresh mint, for garnish

Directions:
Remove white pith from oranges & cut the fruit crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.  Arrange on a serving platter & scatter the sliced onion over the orange slices.
In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.  Spoon this dressing over the slices of onion & orange.
Sprinkle with raisins, olives & almonds.  Garnish with mint sprigs & chill before serving.
I'm in the mood for something a little ethnic, so I decided to make Spanikopida using fresh spinach and a lot of buttered phyllo layers. But I couldn't ignore the fact that Florida strawberries are showing up in all our markets. And then there are those tender broccoli leaves in my organic Earth Boxes (remember the soup from a few weeks ago) and I haven't tried to turn them into Broccoli Chips ala Kale Chips. I'm going to make some for you to taste when you pick up your order, and will have the free recipe if you'd like. This week's MENU satisfies all my desires, I hope you enjoy!!
WEEKLY MENU     Pick-up   Fri  Jan 30   1-5 pm
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin     $2
A rich blending of fresh sweet banana punctuated by loads of melty dark chocolate chips. So satisfying it could pass for dessert. Perfect with a glass of milk!


The Big Cookie     $1.50
Each individually wrapped in the following flavors:  Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Orange Walnut Belgium Bittersweet Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Pecan Coconut Belgium Milk Chocolate.  


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookie
Strawberry Cheese Braid     $3/slice
Enjoy a generous slice of this yummy soft Danish with a filling of sweetened cream cheese and fresh local strawberries. Oh yes, strawberries & cream, how delightful.


Chocolate Orgasm Cookies     $5/pkg
My legendary chocolate delivery system made from melted Belgium Bittersweet chocolate, toasted fresh almonds, chocolate chips & very little flour. Sold in packages of 4 because you must have more than one.


Spanikopita   $4/square
The traditional Greek pie made with sauteed fresh spinach, garlic & three cheeses (Feta, ricotta & parmigiano) encased within layers of buttered phyllo dough. Crispy outside, creamy inside.



Seeded Flatbread Crisps   (VEGAN)   $4/pkg
When you want something very light, crisp and full of flavor, try a package of these. Hand rolled, seeded and cut into unique shards. Great with soup, salad, dips or in a bread basket.


Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread    $5/loaf
Over 1/2 lb of raisins per loaf & made with REAL CEYLON CINNAMON that I hand grate. Look how beautifully it toasts up, begging you to bite into that heavenly scented slice. Jam optional.

  

Jam or Chutney   $4/jar 

                                     Only 5 flavors available now     

Mango Chutney, Ginger Pear ChutneyPineapple Daiquiri Jam,  Mango Meyer Lemon Jam, Blueberry Pineapple Fusion Jam


No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fake stuff EVER!!

ORDER BY 5pm WEDNESDAY

all items in limited supply... first come, first served


PICK UP FRIDAY 1-5 pm at Bonni's Treehouse

in the Village of the Arts

   932 12th Street West 
(down the driveway thru the white wrought iron gate) 


TO PLACE AN ORDER 

email bonnibakes@gmail.com  
  
or call me at (941) 746-6647 

   PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK TO BONNI BROWN  

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment