Monday, January 5, 2015

WELCOME TO THE YEAR OF THE MANGO

In the words of my very excitable 7th grade Spanish teacher, AY CARAMBA !! 


As soon as I finished making most of last season's Keitt mango into jam, I walked outside and saw mango blooms sprouting on every tree limb. YIKES!! Each fruit weighs up to 4 pounds and in a good year the tree produces over 100. The weather last year limited the crop to a few dozen but it was enough for me. If all of the itsy bitsy flowers produce mangoes, and they all ripen, I will be buried under them. I'm hoping for the classic late January windstorm that blows most of the blooms off the tree. Fingers crossed, looking skyward.


This is what my Mango Butter looked like when it was finished. It's made using ripe Keitt mango from my organic tree that is slowly cooked down to concentrate its delicate flavor; plus a tiny bit of cane sugar and citrus juices. If you love mango, this tastes like the pure essence of the fruit. It doesn't contain butter, therefore it's VEGAN and is thick enough to spread onto (bread) or into (yogurt) anything. I make it in small batches because it takes so long & uses a lot of fruit per jar. A limited amount available now at $5 for an 8 oz jar.


Since I was in a mango mood, I also made Keitt Mango & Meyer Lemon Jam (fruit courtesy of my trees), as well as Mango Chutney. If you need ideas about how to use the chutney, I can email you some recipes.


Sweet Thanks to those of you who wrote or stopped by Friday's ArtWalk to help me celebrate 15 years since we opened the doors of BONNI BAKES. It was fun reminiscing and walking down memory lane with you ;-)

I just saw an article about how broccoli leaves can be used in cooking instead of heading to the compost pile. When you forget to pick the head before it flowers, it makes a nice decoration rather than an ingredient. But look at how many leaves are available to be made into chips ala kale, or star in a soup. I'm going to experiment & make


the Broccoli Leaf Tortellini Soup, using my homemade wontons instead. If you have access to broccoli leaves and want to try yourself, let me know & I'll send you the information plus the recipe.


WEEKLY MENU    Pick-up   Fri  Jan 9   1-5 pm

CRANBERRY PECAN CORN MUFFIN     $2
It's the magical combination of a buttery corn muffin dotted with cranberries and toasted pecans. I love mine toasted with a hit of mango jam to balance the tart cranberries.


THE BIG COOKIE     $1.50
Individually wrapped. Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Orange Walnut Belgium Bittersweet Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Pecan Coconut Belgium Milk Chocolate.  
                


CHOCOLATE ORGASM COOKIES     $5/pkg
My legendary chocolate delivery system made from melted Belgium Bittersweet chocolate, toasted fresh almonds, chocolate chips & very little flour. Sold in packages of 4 because you must have more than one.



BUTTERNUT VEGGIE MINI GALETTE (vegetarian) $4.50
Filled with a blend of roasted Butternut Squash + Onion + Spinach, wrapped in tender pastry, then topped with cheese & baked. Make it a personal meal or share as a side dish. Can be frozen & reheated.


CINNAMON APPLE TWIST     $3.50
A buttery little Danish loaf filled with crisp apples, Sri Lanka cinnamon and raisins plumped in Jamaican Appleton Estate dark rum. Generous enough to share, but you don't have to.


Patrick's CHICAGO BACON BUN    $1.50
A soft oval bun baked with sauteed onions & BACON inside. Delicious as is but a quick satisfying meal when split, filled with a fried egg & cheese then grilled like a panini...delish & yummy!


MINORCAN MULTI-GRAIN LOAF  (VEGAN)    $4.50/loaf 
Crisp crust with a tender crumb and flecked with sunflower, sesame, poppy and flax seeds. Slice it for a sandwich or toast to amplify the flavors of the many grains & seeds.



JAM or CHUTNEY $4          MANGO BUTTER $5     

Mango Chutney, Ginger Pear Chutney, Mango ButterBlueberry Lime Jam, Pineapple Daiquiri Jam,  Mango Meyer Lemon Jam, Blueberry Pineapple Fusion Jam, Mango Margarita Jam. 


No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fake stuff EVER!!

ORDER BY 5pm WEDNESDAY

all items in limited supply... first come, first served


PICK UP FRIDAY 1-5 pm at Bonn's Treehouse

in the Village of the Arts

   932 12th Street West 
(down the driveway thru the white wrought iron gate) 


TO PLACE AN ORDER 

email bonnibakes@gmail.com  
  
or call me at (941) 746-6647 

   PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK TO BONNI BROWN  

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment