|Completed Pesto, more than the sum of its parts|
2 cups fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 TBL pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine before putting in the processor
salt to taste
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 TBL pecorino romano cheese, freshly grated
3 TBL butter, softened to room temperature
- Briefly soak and wash the basil in cold water, and gently pat it thoroughly DRY with paper towels.
- Put the basil leaves, olive oil, pine nuts, chopped garlic, and an ample pinch of salt in the bowl of a food processor and process to a uniform, creamy consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl, and mix in the two grated cheeses by hand. It is worth the slight effort to do it by hand to obtain the notably superior texture it produces.
- When the cheese has been evenly amalgamated with the other ingredients, mix in the softened butter, distributing it uniformly into the sauce.
- When spooning the pesto over pasta, dilute it slightly with a tablespoon or two of the hot water in which the pasta was cooked.
- Freezing pesto: Make the sauce through to the end of Step 2, cover with a layer of olive oil and freeze it without cheese and butter in it. I like to use a plastic ice cube tray. Add the cheese and butter when it is thawed, just before serving.
Bonni's Pesto Vinaigrette
½ Cup Olive Oil (4 oz)
¼ Cup Pesto (2 oz)
Juice of half a lemon
Whisk the olive oil, pesto & lemon juice together.
The little Lemon Thyme plant is doing very well. I suspect we'll be seeing some its leaves showing up in recipes in the coming weeks.
And there has been a lot of Monarch butterfly activity around the Butterfly Bushes over the past few weeks. We're hoping for a basket of eggs, followed by multi-striped caterpillars turning into a flurry of Monarchs. You go girls!!
Here's what you can expect out of my nature inspired kitchen.
THIS WEEK'S MENU Pick-up Fri April 24 1-5 pm
THE BIG COOKIE $1.50
Each cookie has its own personality & unique flavor profile. Some are seductive, using the allure of Belgium chocolate to get your attention. Others invoke memories of childhood or a less complicated time. Find your match amongst Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Orange Walnut Belgium Bittersweet Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Pecan Coconut Belgium Milk Chocolate.
CHOCOLATE ORGASM COOKIES $5/pkg
My legendary chocolate delivery system made with melted Belgium bittersweet chocolate throughout, toasted fresh almonds, chocolate chips & very little flour. Sold in packages of 4 because you must have more than one.
POPPYSEED (MOHN) BARS $3.50/pkg
In Yiddish poppyseeds are known as "mohn", and they crop up often in eastern European recipes. In this case they are used as a moist filling between a shortbread base and a streusel topping sprinkled with powdered sugar. Cut in small bars so they're easy to share.
SEEDED FLATBREAD CRISPS (vegan) $4/pkg
When you want something very light, crisp and full of flavor, try a bag of these. Each one is rolled out by hand, seeded and cut into unique shards. Perfect with soup, salad, dips or in a bread basket.
ROASTED VEGGIE STROMBOLI $4.50
Straight off the menu at BONNI BAKES Bakery/Cafe, an individual portion complete with BONNI BAKES Red Sauce for dipping. Under the crisp stromboli shell you'll find roasted veggies (zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onion & peppers) slathered with homemade Garden Pesto & topped with mozzarella and parmesan. Add a salad & there's dinner!
No artificial flavors, colors or preservatives EVER!!
ORDER BY 5pm WEDNESDAY
all items in limited supply... first come, first served
PICK UP FRIDAY 1-5 pm at Bonni's Treehouse
932 12th Street West
TO PLACE AN ORDER
or call me at (941) 746-6647
PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK TO BONNI BROWN
Hugs from my kitchen,